This tutorial walks through the general approach for installing the Hortonworks Sandbox (HDP or HDF) onto VirtualBox on your computer.
- Download the Hortonworks Sandbox
- VirtualBox Installed, version 5.1 or newer
- A computer with at least 8 GB of RAM to spare.
Import the Hortonworks Sandbox
Start by importing the Hortonworks Sandbox into VirtualBox. You can do this in two ways:
- Double-click on the sandbox image you download from the prerequisites section above.
- Or open VirtualBox and navigate to File -> Import Appliance. Select the sandbox image you downloaded and click “Next“.
You should end up with a screen like this:
Note: Make sure to allocate at least 8 GB (8192 MB) of RAM for the sandbox.
Click “Import” and wait for VirtualBox to import the sandbox.
Start the Hortonworks Sandbox
Once the sandbox has finished being imported, you may start it by selecting the sandbox and clicking “Start” from the VirtualBox menu.
A console window opens and displays the boot process. Once the virtual machine fully boots up, you may begin using the sandbox.
Welcome to the Hortonworks Sandbox!
- Follow-up with the tutorial: Learning the Ropes of the Hortonworks Sandbox
- Browse all tutorials available on the Hortonworks site